Full-Time/Part-Time: Per Diem
St. Mary’s Hospital is currently seeking a dynamic Chef to prepare hot and cold foods according to the current menu for all programs using standardized recipes. Prepares and sets up service foods for dining room café. Ensures food safety, quality and freshness. Prepares foods for special functions as directed. Ensures kitchen safety and security. Supports Hospital’s mission to provide the highest quality care by complying with regulatory guidelines, meeting agency standards, and obtaining appropriate certification.
- Demonstrates competency in all skills required for the preparation of menu items according to DOH and department standards in the proper quantity to meet the demands of all customers including texture modified meal plans/diets.
- Reviews the menu to assess for changes and necessary times for preparation.
- Prepares all menu items in a timely manner to ensure that the deliver of meals is in accordance to policy.
- Prepares appetizing and nutritious meals according to department standards and production requirements.
- Provides feedback to supervisor regarding menu acceptance by customers.
- Observes infection control and food safety procedures. Maintains compliance to regulatory standards/guidelines.
- Assists with department compliance to infection control procedures by providing verbal and/or written feedback to other department staff when non-compliance is observed.
- Documents food temperatures daily.
- Ensures that foods are served within acceptable temperatures; implements interventions as appropriate.
- Completes job specific daily cleaning assignments.
- Serves staff and visitor meals in a professional and courteous manner.
- Performs other related duties and activities that may become necessary as directed.
- Ensure all new recipes are approved by the Director.
- Evaluate menu acceptance and recommend changes as needed.
- Oversee activities of food services, assigning tasks as necessary in the absence as needed.
- Assist with the inventory process.
- Participate in department’s quality improvement program.
St. Mary’s Healthcare System for Children is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D/V/SO
Formal education required:
- High school diploma or qualifications for equivalent.
- NYC Food Handlers License or equivalent preferred
Previous experience required:
- One year previous experience cooking in an institutional environment.
- Ability to transform standardized menus to meet the size population served
St. Mary’s Healthcare System for Children is one of the nation’s premier providers of intensive rehabilitation and specialized care for children with special needs and life-limiting conditions. The largest pediatric post-acute care provider of its kind in the region, St. Mary’s treats 2,000 children each day through our hospital, Home Care and Community Programs in the five boroughs of New York City, Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester and beyond. Following hospitalizations for complications from premature birth, illness and injury, or when special services are needed, children and their families come to St. Mary’s to receive exceptional care, learn to manage their condition, and achieve a better quality of life.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.