Position: Nursing Supervisor
Full-Time/Part-Time: Per Diem
St. Mary’s Hospital for Children is currently seeking a Nursing Supervisor who will assist the department head in implementing, organizing and evaluating all services of the Nursing Department. The qualified candidate will supervise the department staff and support the hospital’s mission to provide the highest quality care by complying with regulatory guidelines, meeting facility standards, and obtaining appropriate certification.
- Revises and updates department programs, policies and procedures as needed.
- Participates in System-Wide quality improvement program. Supervises the implementation of departmental quality activities, as assigned. Reports to the Quality Forum on a quarterly basis.
- Assists Director in preparation for accreditation and program certification surveys. Involves staff at all levels in survey compliance.
- Recommends and implements systems for documentation necessary to maintain accountability and compliance with external regulations and internal standards, and standardization within SMHCS.
- Enforces the operations structure for the department and recommends work systems to ensure optimum utilization and coordination of personnel and resources.
- Supervises the department staff to accomplish required activities in an efficient and effective manner.
- Provides feedback to staff when opportunities for improvement/excellence are observed. Performs coaching/disciplinary action as necessary, and with the approval of the department head.
- Participates in recruitment and retention efforts, as requested.
- Maintains budget within established parameters. Provides input in preparation, as requested.
- Participates in employee performance evaluations according to defined schedule. Develops and updates job descriptions and standards as needed.
- Promotes customer friendly service. Investigates and resolves all customer complaints.
- Submits written reports within established time frames.
- Provides adequate opportunity for staff training and education. Coordinates staffing to meet in-service requirements. Assists in orientation of new staff.
- Assists the DNS in analyzing and evaluating department programs, policies and procedures
- Organizes and directs the evening/night staff to accomplish required activities in an efficient and effective manner, in collaboration with department managers.
- Shares accountability for the clinical practice of nursing in accordance with professional facility and regulatory standards.
- Role model skills as appropriate
- Conduct clinical rounds on the resident care units
- Participates in short and intermediate planning for the department. Links department goals, budget and activities to strategic planning.
Non Essential Duties:
- Conduct regular department meetings with staff.
- Represents the department director, when appropriate.
- Provides decision-making support to staff, in the absence of the department head.
- Bachelors Degree in Nursing preferred
Previous experience required:
- Minimum of five years managerial and supervisory experience
St. Mary’s Healthcare System for Children is one of the nation’s premier providers of intensive rehabilitation and specialized care for children with special needs and life-limiting conditions. The largest pediatric post-acute care provider of its kind in the region, St. Mary’s treats 2,000 children each day through our hospital, Home Care and Community Programs in the five boroughs of New York City, Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester and beyond. Following hospitalizations for complications from premature birth, illness and injury, or when special services are needed, children and their families come to St. Mary’s to receive exceptional care, learn to manage their condition, and achieve a better quality of life.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.