Position: Special Education Itinerant Teacher (SEIT)
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time and/or Part-Time
St. Mary’s Hospital for Children and the Early Education Program is currently seeking a Special Education Itinerant Teacher (SEIT) who will plan and provide developmentally appropriate education programs and activities that support the optimal growth and development of each child. The qualified candidate will work collaboratively with interdisciplinary team members, children and parents, while supporting the Hospital’s mission to provide the highest quality care by complying with regulatory guidelines, meeting agency standards, and obtaining appropriate certification.
- Provides special education services to preschool children in their homes, and/or other community or preschool settings.
- Plans and implements activities and interventions that meet the educational goals for the child as described in the child’s IEP.
- Serves as case manager for child, including liaison with all disciplines, communicates with family and team members, as well as with the Director of Early Education.
- Develops and implements system documentation necessary to maintain accountability and compliance with the C.P.S.E, S.E.D., Bureau of Day Care; and all other relevant regulatory agencies with oversight to the Early Education program
- Completes session notes, Quarterlies, Annual Progress Reports, as required by the DOE and SED.
- Participates in all CPSE, Turning 5, and Parent-Teacher conferences, as determined by CPSE Administrator, the child’s school program, and/or the Director of Early Education.
- Coordinates team meetings and paperwork from related service providers.
- Meets regularly with Director of Early Education to review progress of child.
- Maintains personal and professional credentials, including certifications, Health and Safety documentation, on-going trainings and professional development activities
Formal education required:
- Master’s Degree in Special Education
- New York State Certification Birth to Grade 2
Previous experience required:
- Minimum of two years’ experience in early childhood special education preferred
St. Mary’s Healthcare System for Children is one of the nation’s premier providers of intensive rehabilitation and specialized care for children with special needs and life-limiting conditions. The largest pediatric post-acute care provider of its kind in the region, St. Mary’s treats 2,000 children each day through our hospital, Home Care and Community Programs in the five boroughs of New York City, Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester and beyond. Following hospitalizations for complications from premature birth, illness and injury, or when special services are needed, children and their families come to St. Mary’s to receive exceptional care, learn to manage their condition, and achieve a better quality of life.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.